Evolve Detroit: New Website, Free Movie this Wed, No Brunch…
Monday, July 19th 2010
Greetings Detroit and all!
It’s been quite a while since you’ve seen an Evolve Detroit. We’ve been working on development, participating in collaborative grant proposals, trying to stay cool and supporting our son’s growth and development in awe. We hope that you are all well and send our best to you and yours.
There’s a great deal to share here so we’re just going to dig in…
- Another Detroit! – We’re nearly recovered from the very transformative United States Social Forum and are honored to have played our small part. Over the months leading to the USSF and during the event itself we had the honor of feeding and sharing with folk from all over the world. We learned and are processing a great deal, but one message came through loud and clear: we need to get on with our work, our inner work AND our community work. Our great gratitude to everyone from Detroit who came together to host this event, especially to those who had the initial vision to bring the forum to Detroit! We’ve been attending meetings with other organizations on post USSF collaboration. If you would like to be included in these discussions or would be so kind as to invite us to yours, please contact us with post-USSF in the subject field.
Action: Review the USSF PMA Resolutions – Read Jackie Victor’s USSF commentary – View these clips from the USSF that document the inspirational work of our heroes at D-Town Farms and The Detroit Black Community Food Security Network.
- The long awaited NEW SITE is Here – Inspired by the USSF, we carved out the time needed to pound together the new site we’ve been talking about for years. We hope that it is easy to use and that you’ll consider it a resource for relocalization. The site is still very much in development, but it will give you an idea of what we’re up to and where we’re headed. If you’re wordpress savvy and would like to help us clean this coding fiasco up, please drop Gregg a line. Please check the site regularly. Though we will continue with these monthly updates, new important events are popping up all over town every day. We’re going to try to document as many as possible through Detroit Evolution. If you’d like to help us populate the site with viable info please get in touch and we’ll get you an id and login to update the site.
Action: Visit Detroit Evolution’s new site!
- People’s Yoga - People’s Yoga Detroit has made great strides. We’ve added 2 morning classes (7-8am Mon & Wed with Caitlin) and our evening classes (6:30-7:45p Tues & Thurs with Gregg) are well attended. Please Note: We have created a new Facebook Page for People’s Yoga and, if you want updates on classes, musings on yoga and a little online camaraderie, please “like” the People’s Yoga Detroit FB page. Though we’ll still post some yoga info through Detroit Evolution, we don’t want to bombard our non-yoga folk with these more frequent messages. We’re very grateful to share yoga at Spirit of Hope Church!
Action: To keep up with our People’s Yoga Detroit offerings please “like” our facebook page. Also, please download and print the People’s Yoga Detroit flier .pdf and share it with your community. Thanks!
- Free Movie & Discussion on DIY Alt Energy – This Wednesday is Detroit Abides, our Free Movie in Eastern Market and we’ve put together what we think will be an informative evening. We’ll be screening selections from David Blume’s Alcohol Can Be A Gas, and have invited a handful of local innovators to share their work and interest in alternative energy.
Action: Please join us Wednesday the 21st at 7pm in Eastern Market’s Shed 5. Make sure to bring a chair!
- The Corktown Community Kitchen – The AMAZING experience that is The Corktown Community Kitchen will be taking a break in July and August. Core members of the Community Kitchen crew are traveling and giving birth , so we’re going to regroup in September with improved ways of doing what we do and more innovative offerings that will support Detroit local farmers and purveyors.
Action: If you are interested in assisting with the Community Kitchen organization, documentation and helping us map the local food system please contact us and save the date: September 19th for the return of our all local brunch.
- Detroit Re:Local Fieldbook – If you would like to support the community kitchen during this break please consider sharing your local food recipes and tips with others through the new Detroit Re:Local Fieldbook. The Fieldbook will not only document the grassroots mapping of the Detroit Food System that is central to the mission of the Community Kitchen, but also collect and share resources and info on Urban Agriculture, Undoing Racism, Energy and Materials Usage and other topics central to relocalization.
Action: If you would like to help collect data for the Fieldbook please contact Gregg for a ID and Login.
- Maker Faire Detroit – We’re pretty geeky here at Detroit Evolution so we’re very excited about the upcoming Maker Faire Detroit and are honored to be providing Detroit Local Food at the pre-Maker Faire Can-Do Camp in Eastern Market. We’re always excited to share our food and our story with other Makers. We hope to see you at the Faire on July 29 & August 1!
Action: Join us at Maker Faire Detroit!
- Our Gratitude – We appreciate all the supportive feedback as we continue to navigate and share our path towards co-creating a healthy, sustainable, soulful and relocalized Detroit. We’re not experts, we’re running on instinct the majority of the time, and we’ve fumbled along making some vital motions all along the way. All this, of course, is to the many and varied communities that have understood where we’re coming from and why were making these motions in the first place. Yours and their support are what have kept us going through thick and thin. Thank you!
I think that covers all our bases, though I am sure that I will forget something. There is a great deal happening in the city right now and we’re pleased to share our slice of awareness and action here. See you out and about!
In Health, Joy and Liberation,
Gregg Newsom for the entire Detroit Evolution Crew
Casa de la Evolucion
North Corktown, Detroit